Our service offerings for the Gems and Jewellery industry
- The Gems & Jewellery Industry is one of the fastest growing segments in India
- India’s export of Gems & Jewellery products (constituting cut and polished diamonds, gold jewellery, coloured gemstones, pearls, non-gold jewellery, synthetic stones, etc.) is expected to generate a revenue of about US$ 35 bn in 2015
- The domestic market is also robust at well over US$ 40 bn
- India is the largest consumer of gold in the world and consumes nearly 20% of the world consumption. A majority of this consumption goes in making of gold jewellery
- India has an abundant supply of skilled manpower suited for designing and producing high volumes of exquisite jewellery at low labour costs
- Due to the very high export orientation of the industry, most of the large players have established their offices / subsidiaries / associates in nearly all the important trading centres of the world like USA, Singapore, Hongkong, China, UAE, Tokyo, Belgium, Tel Aviv, London etc.
- India is the largest diamond cutting and polishing centre in the world and globally enjoys a 60% share in value, 82 % share in caratage terms and 95% share in terms of pieces
- Effectively, 9 out of 10 diamonds sold worldwide are processed in India
- India’s export of Gems & Jewellery products (constituting cut and polished diamonds, gold jewellery, coloured gemstones, pearls, non-gold jewellery, synthetic stones etc) was at US $ 21.2 billion in 2008 and is expected to be approx. US $ 20.1 billion in 2009.
- While recently there have been a growing trend of large business entities entering this sector, the Gems & Jewellery sector still continues to be dominated by small and medium sector entities
- With a growing middle class, the market for branded jewellery is expanding substantially, with many of the large players in the industry are setting up retail chains of jewellery showrooms across India which market gold (plain and studded) jewellery, fusion jewellery, diamonds etc.
- With gold being seen as an investment alternative, the market for gold coins / bars has also increased substantially
Opportunities and Challenges
With the phenomenal increase in the growth opportunities and scales of business operated, the challenges have also increased manifold. Some of the significant challenges faced by the industry are:
- Price risk of key raw materials
- Foreign exchange risk
- Security risk during mass scale production, handling and movement
- Fast changing fashions, models, etc.
- Credit risk
- Country / territory risk for market concentration in few countries
- Compliance risk has increased significantly as a result of the multinational operations of the industry
- Ability of management in handling country specific challenges
- In case of diamonds, concentration of rough diamonds supply with a few suppliers is a major challenge
- Increased international and domestic vigilance by authorities considering Gems & Jewellery products (eg. gold, diamonds etc) being considered as sensitive goods
- Scaling up the local systems and procedures to suit international standards and requirements
- Products are more based on discretionary and impulsive buying and hence get affected first during any downturn
While the challenges are many, the industry also offers significant growth opportunities considering the future outlook.
How we can help
RSM in India has been involved in the Gems & Jewellery industry for over two decades and provides a wide range of professional services to this industry, viz:
- Internal and management audits (including compliance audits)
- International and Indian tax
- Corporate advisory and structuring covering Tax / Foreign Exchange regulations, Double Taxation Avoidance Agreements (DTAA) regulations, Commercial regulations, etc.
- Advisory and assistance in outbound and inbound Foreign Direct Investments from and into India, formation / re-structuring of Joint Ventures, Mergers and Acquisitions, etc.
- Quality Management Systems covering compliance of standards defined by De Beers, Rio Tinto, etc.
- Operations consulting covering lean management systems, JIT approach, inventory management tools, preparation of Standard Operations Manuals (SOPs), defining pre-agreed systems and procedures, etc. and assisting in their implementation
- Financial process outsourcing
- Transfer pricing
- Information technology solutions covering data and process automation, assisting in the identification and implementation of software, ERP, etc.
- Enterprise risk management enabling organizations to help identify, control and mitigate / manage risk across the organization
- Company law compliance and commercial documentation
- Executive search and recruitment
RSM in India is considered as a Preferred Service Provider by the players from the Gems & Jewellery industry. We service a large number of industry players who are involved in the Gems & Jewellery industry (domestic focused as well as internationally focused) including a dominant portion of the Gems & Jewellery exporters. We cater to their professional services requirements both, in India and at their overseas locations. Further, given our national and international reach, we are able to provide the said services to our clients at all their business locations..
With our integrated and customized IT software solutions (insert hyperlink to service tier 1 of Information technology (IT) assurance and IT solutions) for the Gems and Jewellery industry we are one of the leading service providers of end to end IT solution, implementation services and management consultancy.
Our multi-disciplinary teams of professionals with expert professional knowledge in the fields of audit, tax, legal, Information Technology, HR, Operations Consulting, etc. and senior professionals possess extensive experience in catering to this industry. With a deep understanding of the various finer aspects of the Gems & Jewellery industry on a variety of fronts, we are in a unique position to offer a range of pragmatic and customized solutions to clients. Some of our credentials are given below:
- RSM in India is consistently ranked amongst India’s top six accounting and consulting groups and globally RSM is the seventh largest audit, tax and consulting network
- Extensive experience in advisory, taxation and accounting matters of the Gems & Jewellery sector across various functions and geographies
- Multi-disciplinary team of professionals comprising of Chartered Accountants, MBAs, Engineers, Company Secretaries, CISA / DISA, Cost Accountants and Law graduates