GST Council in its 31st meeting decided that a new GST return system will be introduced to facilitate taxpayers from October 2019 onwards.
The GST Council has issued a Press Release on 11 June 2019 regarding the same. We have attached the press release for your reference.
The gist of Press release is as follows:-
- In May, 2019 a prototype of the offline tool has already been shared on the common portal to give the look and feel of the tool to the users.
This prototype shows working of following features of Offline Tool of new return:
- Annexure of Supplies (GST ANX-1) contains features for uploading the details of outward supplies, imports (goods and services), and inward supplies attracting reverse charge etc.
- Annexure of Inward Supplies (GST ANX-2) is the form in which the user can take action on the auto-drafted documents uploaded by supplier which will made available to them on real time basis.
- Matching tool can be used by the recipient to match the auto-drafted details of GST ANX-2 with their own purchase register.
ii From July, 2019, users would be able to upload invoices using the FORM GST ANX-1 offline tool on trial basis for familiarization
The users would also be able to view and download, the inward supply of invoices using the FORM GST ANX-2 offline tool under the trial program.
The summary of inward supply invoices would also be available for view on the common portal online.
They would also be able to import their purchase register in the Offline Tool and match it with the downloaded inward supply invoices to find mismatches from August 2019.
iii. Between July 19 to September, 2019 (for three months), the new return system (ANX-1 & ANX-2 only) would be available on trial basis for taxpayers.
The taxpayers would continue to file their outward supply details in FORM GSTR-1 on monthly / quarterly basis and return in FORM GSTR-3B on monthly basis.
iv. From October, 2019 onwards, FORM GST ANX-1 is intended to be made compulsory and FORM GSTR-1 is intended to be `replaced by FORM GST ANX-1.
v. For October and November, 2019, large taxpayers would continue to file FORM GSTR-3B on monthly basis. The large taxpayers would file their first FORM GST RET-01 for the month of December, 2019 by 20th January, 2020.
vi. The small taxpayers would stop filing FORM GSTR-3B and would start filing FORM GST PMT-08 from October, 2019 onwards.
vii. From January, 2020 onwards, all taxpayers shall be filing FORM GST RET-01 and FORM GSTR-3B shall be completely phased out.
In the proposed system of new GST Return filing, a normal taxpayer would have to file :-
- FORM GST RET-1 (Normal) or
- FORM GST RET-2 (Sahaj) or
- FORM GST RET-3 (Sugam) on either monthly or quarterly basis.
- Annexure of supplies (GST ANX-1) – Details of Outward supplies
Annexure of Inward Supplies (GST ANX-2) – Details of Inward Supplies