Malta claims taxing rights on a worldwide basis only on persons both resident and domiciled in Malta. The maximum tax rate for individuals and the standard tax rate for companies is 35% - however through a series of tax refunds and particular features present in the Maltese tax system, this rate may be reduced significantly.
Companies registered in Malta must submit an annual tax return to the Commissioner of Inland Revenue specifying the taxable income and any applicable deductions therefrom. With the ever increasing complexity of Maltese fiscal legislation, the relevant tax return has become exceedingly complex while constant changes in income tax legislation are putting increased pressure on those with the financial responsibility for such returns, often consuming a large amount of management time and effort.
Our tax department can help control such expenses by efficiently providing you the services you require. We have the necessary skills to provide the following services:
- Assistance in the compilation of companies’ tax computations based on the audited financial statements of the company, including, where applicable, capital allowances schedules, balancing statements, capital gains computations, and claims for relief from double taxation;
- Assistance in the preparation of the self assessment income tax return;
- Assistance in the preparation of the Tax Index of Financial Data as required by the Income Tax Act;
- Preparation of dividend warrants where applicable;
- Online Submission of the relevant documents to the Inland Revenue Department on the company’s behalf;
- Advice on amount of settlement tax to be paid by the company for the year of assessment;
- Review of correspondence received from the Inland Revenue Department and advice on claims and elections arising therefrom;
- Maintaining all the tax accounts as required by the Income Tax Act;
- Dealing with other communications relating to the company’s return with the Inland Revenue Department;
- Registration of shareholders of the company, where required, for the purposes of a claim for refund as required by the Tax Refunds and Registration Procedure Rules;
- Assistance in the preparation of the Malta tax refund application, where required, in terms of the Income Tax Management Act and submission of the application to the Inland Revenue Department.
We can give you assurance on accuracy together with the knowledge that we will always be on the look out for potential tax saving opportunities on your behalf.