Major cross-border transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions (M&A), often involve overcoming a variety of tax-related challenges across multiple jurisdictions. RSM’s global M&A Tax teams provide an integrated, full-service approach that can support you through all the steps of a transaction and its subsequent implementation. Whether you are planning to sell your existing operations, to acquire a new business, to perform a merger, joint venture, or IPO, or to raise additional finance, we can advise and support you.
Our buy-side or sell-side due diligence services:
- Income taxes and indirect taxes (VAT, Transfer taxes, Sales taxes) guidance is conducted by M&A specialists in multiple jurisdictions
- Findings are provided through multi-lingual M&A specialists to ensure effective communication of local country tax matters
- Tax clauses contained within transaction documentation are reviewed such as warranties and indemnities in sale and purchase agreements
- Communication with reps and warranty insurance providers is facilitated
Our structuring support services:
- Advising on a tax efficient sale or acquisition structure (pre-deal structuring)
- Tax efficient integration of an acquired business into the existing group structure (post-deal structuring)
- Consulting on management participation and incentive programmes
- Advising on tax efficient financing options for a transaction
- Potential exposures are generally quantified (often a range of exposures is provided)
When undertaking mergers and acquisitions (M&A), tax implications are one of the first aspects that must be considered as part of the business decision-making process. With cross-border transactions, this becomes even more important. International tax issues are complex and require extensive local knowledge, experience, and expertise within the range of countries that the business team operates.
The RSM Global M&A Tax Virtual Hub is a unique offering with a virtual team dedicated to supporting globally acquisitive middle market business leaders.
“Our transaction was complicated with various challenges to overcome. RSM provided us with excellent support throughout demonstrating a deep understanding of the process, helping to ensure a smooth and highly successful result.”
Who we help?
Without doubt, the success of a transaction can be significantly influenced by the extent and quality of the due diligence undertaken. Tax due diligence is a key aspect of the overall investigation into a transaction and RSM has earned a reputation for providing timely, relevant and value-added due diligence reports and advice.
RSM’s specialist teams comprise individuals who are deeply experienced in providing due diligence for:
- Investors, banks, and private equity houses e.g, when considering funding of a management buy-out
- Corporate acquirers, including, where relevant, supporting the needs of their funders
- Vendors (vendor assist or vendor due diligence), used to identify potential issues for the seller and reduce the risk of these being used by a purchaser to seek reduction in a price negotiation