A Villa Maria Chardonnay and a Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot were the champion white and red at the Romeo Bragato Wine Awards. The Villa Maria Single Vineyard Ihumatao Chardonnay 2014 won the overall trophy as well as its category and the white wine section.
Judging panel chairman Ben Glover describes it as “stunning" stating:
This Chardonnay demonstrated exceptional respect to the variety and is a shining example of what hard graft in the vineyard and soft touch in the winery can achieve
The three other winners from Villa Maria stable were:
- Reserve Gimblett Gravels Hawke’s Bay Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2014 (Champion Domaine);
- Single Vineyard Ihumatao Gewürztraminer 2014;
- and Reserve Marlborough Noble Riesling Botrytis Selection 2015.
Other category winners:
- Mt Maude Vineyard East Block Riesling Central Otago 2016;
- Aronui Pinot Gris Single Vineyard Nelson 2016;
- Coopers Creek SV Hawke’s Bay Malbec "Saint John" 2013;
- Tohu Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2016;
- Wooing Tree Rosé Central Otago 2016;
- Black Quail Estate Pinot Noir Central Otago 2013;
- and Falcon Ridge Estate Syrah Nelson 2015.