Marc Humphries is a Director in our Johannesburg office.
He obtained his Bachelor of Commerce in Law, Insurance and Risk in 2005 at the University of the Witwatersrand. Thereafter he obtained his Bachelor of Laws (Cum Laude) in 2007 and a Certificate in Advanced Company Law in 2015 at the at the University of the Witwatersrand.
Marc was admitted as an attorney in 2010 after serving his articles of clerkship with Wertheim Becker Inc. After having practiced as an attorney for a number of years, Marc joined RSM in February 2014. He was appointed as a Regional Divisional Director in the Legal Department during May 2017.
Marc specialises in labour law and his experience in this regard includes:
- Forensic investigations
- The transfer of employees pursuant to the provisions of Section 197 of the Labour Relations Act (business transfer)
- The dismissal of employees due to the operational requirements of the employer (retrenchments)
- The disciplining and dismissal of problematic employees
- Performance management
- The drafting of employment contracts
- Changes to terms and conditions of employment
- Labour due diligence and compliance reports
- Negotiating with trade unions and employer organisations
- Disciplinary and grievance investigations
- Assisting with disciplinary hearings
Marc also has extensive expertise in corporate commercial legal matters including the negotiating and drafting of commercial and transactional agreements, advising on the Companies Act 2008, mergers and acquisitions including corporate restructuring, advising on and the implementation of B-BBEE ownership transactions including private equity transactions, construction law including FIDIC, JBCC and NEC agreements, due diligence reviews, property law and exchange control.
- Member of the South African Society for Labour Law
- Member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces
- Admitted attorney since 2010
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (Cum Laude)
- Certificate in Advanced Company Law