Richard is a principal of the Tax Services division in Melbourne, providing specialist R&D tax incentive compliance and innovation consulting services.
Richard commenced his R&D tax work in 2009 and has provided advice across Australia to a diverse range of industries including pharmaceuticals, renewable energy, manufacturing, and space & aerospace. Richard has provided advice to start-up innovators to large multinational corporations.
Prior to joining RSM in 2016, Richard worked in management roles in the IT industry, co-founded a venture capital-backed start-up software company, worked at a big 4 accounting firm in the R&D tax incentives.
"I enjoy assisting clients to bring their innovations to life and make them a commercial success"
Richard is a master dishwasher stacker, long-suffering Collingwood supporter, avid road cyclist, and rower.
Solutions richard provides
Richard works in R&D tax incentive advisory services for RSM. He has extensive experience in every aspect of the R&D claim process, including:
- preparation of material and presenting to clients regarding the R&D eligibility criteria, both technical and financial
- running educational workshops and interviews to identify potential R&D projects and gather appropriate information to assess, prepare and substantiate R&D tax claims
- review of prior years’ claims to ensure accuracy and legitimacy of the R&D benefit claimed
- preparing and lodging appropriate R&D registration documentation
- allocation of R&D costs and calculation of the R&D expenditure
- preparation of R&D review advice on behalf of clients for R&D tax incentive financiers
- advising and implementing robust R&D management practices
- assistance with and attendance at AusIndustry/ATO reviews and audits
- Export Market Development Grant
Major projects Richard has been responsible for include:
- coordination and management of multi-project R&D assignments, with annual R&D, spend in excess of $15m
- working with early-stage companies to facilitate cash flow finance and timely receipt of their R&D tax incentive claim
- advising and negotiating companies through the successful defence of prior R&D claims under review
- working on new government legislation, industry submissions, and thought leadership publications for the new R&D tax incentive
- preparation of Advance/Overseas Finding Applications and other government grant applications
- Bachelor of Engineering (University of Melbourne)
- Ph.D. (Engineering) (University of Melbourne)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration