Experts predict that worldwide, cybercrimes of all kinds will cause losses of $6 trillion annually by 2021.
The biggest cyber security threats to the middle market currently include ransomware, social engineering, business email compromise and data loss from advanced persistent threats.
We all know from experience that cyber security is changing. Although security cannot be bought per se, most security system and initiatives do have associated costs - an must be budgeted for and funded.
However, the following 15 recommendations outlined in this e-book do not have any associated costs at all.
- Disable local link multicast name resolution
- Disable network basic input/output system (netbois) name services
- Disable web proxy auto-discovery
- Change default credentials
- Remove local admin rights
- Set unique local admin passwords
- Update PowerShell
- Harden your hosts
- Protect your storage
- Adopt a least permissions approach
- Verify backup integrity
- Aggressively patch everything
- Educate your users
- Use data-at-rest encryption
- Tag external and suspect email messages
TO VIEW THIS ARTICLE AS A PDF, DOWNLOAD 15 WAYS TO IMPROVE SECURITY EBOOK.
For more information, please contact your local RSM adviser.
This content was originally published by RSM US here