Stephen Carroll is a Director of the Tax Services division in Perth providing specialist research and development (R&D) tax incentive and innovation consulting services. Stephen commenced his career in 1999 and has provided advice across Australia to a diverse range of industries, from start-up innovators to large multinational corporations.
Stephen joined and was admitted into the RSM partnership in 2012. Prior to joining RSM, Stephen worked in a boutique engineering business and was a director at KPMG.
Stephen Carroll is a Partner of RSM Australia Partners and a Director or RSM Australia Pty Ltd.
Solutions Stephen carroll provides
Stephen is responsible for the R&D tax incentive advisory services for RSM. He has experience in all aspects of the R&D claims process:
- educating clients on the R&D eligibility criteria, both technical and financial
- running workshops and project interviews to gather appropriate information to assess, prepare and defend R&D tax claims
- preparing appropriate R&D registration documentation
- allocation of R&D costs
- conducting reviews and audits for clients with AusIndustry and the ATO
- advising and implementing R&D management practices
Major projects Stephen has been responsible for include:
- 100% successful outcome when assisting a software development company with an AusIndustry 39L audit of a project spanning seven years
- Taking clients with R&D history and significantly growing R&D claims by providing a more thorough and detailed approach than previous R&D advisers
- Working on thought leadership publications for the new R&D tax incentive
Stephen has had significant input and roles within the innovation community and provides expert advice in project evaluation and selection.
His experience includes:
- Committee member and judge for the WA Innovator of the Year Award Program since 2008
- Chairman of the RSM National Innovation Committee
- Mentor for Founders Institute
- Presenter and panellist for Ignition since 2011
- Run advisory sessions for the WA Innovation Centre
- Run workshop, judging sessions and panels for Innovation Pitch events
- Supporter of Asia Pacific OzApp awards
- Unearthed Accelerator mentor
- Chairman of the National LESANZ 2014 Conference
- Committee member, WA Licensing Executive Society (Australia and New Zealand)
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 Organising Committee, WA State Government Innovator of the Year program
- Master of Accounting (Curtin University)
- Bachelor of Science - Mathematics and Computing (Curtin University)