The Modern Manufacturing Initiative (MMI) is a $1.3bn initiative targeted at all businesses growing Australia’s Manufacturing capacity, building scale, and supply chain resilience.
The MMI program is the signature program of the Australian Federal Government’s $1.5bn Modern Manufacturing Strategy, which was announced at the October 2020 Federal Budget.
Are you undertaking manufacturing establishment/expansion projects in any of the following areas?
- Space – Applications closed.
- Medical Products – Applications closed.
- Resources Technology & Critical Minerals Processing – Applications closed.
- Food and Beverage – Applications closed.
- Recycling & Clean Energy – Applications closed.
- Defence – Applications closed.
The business’ particular industry is not relevant to eligibility, as long as the project fits within one of the six categories above.
Will the project’s capital expenditure be a minimum of $2M?
The MMI will provide co-funding grants of between $1m-$20m for projects (i.e. Minimum Project Size of $2m), up to 50% of the eligible project expenditure. The MMI is operating across three streams, of which only the first two are currently open:
- Manufacturing Translation Stream - Applications closed.
Businesses looking to scale manufacturing to commercialise IP into commercial outcomes.
- Manufacturing Integration Stream - Applications closed.
Businesses looking to scale manufacturing to access and integrate into global supply chains.
- Manufacturing Collaboration Stream - Applications open 11 August 2021
For more infomation click here.
Significant business-to-business and business-to-research collaboration, building economies of scale. Detailed information will become available once the grant opens.
Subsequent funding rounds will be available in future years, with MMI Round 2 expected to open in Q1 FY22. However, given the tight timelines, the number of applications is likely to be lower in this round, therefore, if you have a project which may be eligible, there may be a greater possibility of succeeding in this round.