Peter Xi is a Principal in the Tax Division in the Sydney office, providing specialist R&D tax incentive compliance services. He also services the Brisbane, Canberra, and Auckland office.
Peter has worked with some of Australia’s most well-known start-ups and SMEs, as well as some of the largest global innovators. Before joining RSM, Peter worked in a variety of roles including the Innovation incentives team and Private Clients Tax team at PwC, the legal team at Virgin, and sales team at Virgin Mobile Australia.
“I am motivated by building solutions for clients, optimising the benefits available to them, and subsequently watching them grow and succeed.”
Peter is a self-confessed perfectionist and will tunnel vision towards a goal and do everything possible to achieve the perfect outcome.
On the weekends you can find Peter watching football and spending time with his wife.
Peter provides solutions in both English and Mandarin (along with dedicated members of the RSM China Practice Group team), for businesses ranging from start-ups and SMEs to multinationals, local and in-bound. Some of the key industries that Peter’s clients operate in include technology, construction and engineering, manufacturing and consumer products.
- Access to innovation funding through the R&D Tax Incentive program, including Advanced/Overseas Findings and access to R&D debt financing through RSM’s finance partners.
- Advice and assistance in relation to reviews and audits of a company’s R&D Tax Incentive claim by either AusIndustry or the ATO.
- Review of historical R&D claims to ensure the legitimacy of R&D benefit claimed, including during due diligence processes.
- Advice in relation to R&D management processes and best practice governance procedures.-
- Advice in relation to complex matters involving the integrity rules of the R&D Tax Incentive, and where the R&D Tax legislation overlaps with other provisions of the Tax Acts.
- Structuring for innovation projects.
- Advice to investors and innovative companies for the Early Stage Innovation Company (“ESIC”) regime.
- Managing and preparing successful R&D Tax claims across a variety of sectors, with annual R&D expenditure of up to $90m
- Being the ‘Go to’ guy for Chinese clients in relation to innovation funding and being able to clearly advise clients in both English and Mandarin. This has bridged a language gap that a number of clients have found with other R&D advisers.
- Successful defences of reviews and audits of R&D Tax claims, including R&D claims which were prepared by other R&D advisers / R&D entities with no adviser, and preliminarily rejected by the ATO.
- Appearing in front of Senate members as one of two RSM representatives at the November 2018 Senate Inquiry into the proposed changes to the R&D Tax Incentive legislation, where only 3 firms nationally were invited.
- Association of Chinese Accountants Australia (Technical Committee member and Mentor)
- Provisional Member, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Bachelor of Commerce – Professional Accounting (Macquarie University)
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours (Macquarie University)
- Master of Laws (University of Sydney)