Based in our Perth office, Steve is a Principal in the Tax Services division providing specialist R&D tax incentive consulting services. Since 2007, Steve has provided R&D tax advice to a range of diverse industries across Australia.
Prior to joining RSM in 2012, Steve was a member of the R&D tax incentive group at a big four accounting firm.
Preceding his R&D tax incentives career, Steve worked as an industrial Chemist where his responsibilities included the development and synthesis of various products and substrates and the introduction and application of these into client operations.
Solutions Steve provides
Steve has responsibilities and experience in all aspects of the R&D claims process, including:
- Preparation of both technical and financial material and presenting to clients regarding the R&D eligibility criteria;
- Running educational workshops and interviews to identify potential R&D projects and gather appropriate information to assess, prepare and substantiate R&D tax incentive claims;
- Review of prior years’ R&D incentive claims to ensure accuracy and legitimacy of the R&D benefit claimed;
- Preparing and lodging appropriate R&D registration documentation;
- Allocation of eligible R&D expenditure;
- Preparation of R&D review advice on behalf of clients for R&D tax incentive financiers;
- Advising and implementing robust R&D management practices; and
- Assistance with and attendance at AusIndustry/ATO reviews and audits.
Major projects Steve has been responsible for include:
Assisting first-time R&D claimants with commencing, growing and sustaining annual R&D incentive claims;
Working with start-up and early-stage companies to facilitate cash flow finance and timely receipt of their R&D tax incentive claim;
Undertaking educational sessions and assisting R&D claimants with R&D risk mitigation and management processes; and
- Preparation of Advance/Overseas Finding Applications and other government grant applications.