Based in our Perth office, Steve is a Principal in the Tax Services division, providing specialist R&D tax incentive consulting services.
Since 2007, Steve has provided R&D tax advice to a range of diverse industries across Australia. Prior to joining RSM in 2012, Steve was a member of the R&D tax incentive group at a big four accounting firm.
"I am motivated by delivering strong outcomes for clients, growing and developing our staff and continuous learning and development."
Preceding his R&D tax incentives career, Steve worked as an industrial chemist where his responsibilities included the development and synthesis of various products and substrates and the introduction and application of these into client operations.
Steve is authentic in his approach to work and life, which allows him the benefit of forging new and sustaining relationships with clients and contacts. Outside of work Steve enjoys watching soccer and AFL.
Solutions Steve provides
Steve has responsibilities and experience in all aspects of the R&D claims process, including:
- Preparation of both technical and financial material and presenting to clients regarding the R&D eligibility criteria;
- Running educational workshops and interviews to identify potential R&D projects and gather appropriate information to assess, prepare and substantiate R&D tax incentive claims;
- Review of prior years’ R&D incentive claims to ensure accuracy and legitimacy of the R&D benefit claimed;
- Preparing and lodging appropriate R&D registration documentation;
- Allocation of eligible R&D expenditure;
- Preparation of R&D review advice on behalf of clients for R&D tax incentive financiers;
- Advising and implementing robust R&D management practices; and
- Assistance with and attendance at AusIndustry/ATO reviews and audits.
Major projects Steve has been responsible for include:
Assisting first-time R&D claimants with commencing, growing and sustaining annual R&D incentive claims.
Undertaking R&D claim risk mitigation and management processes.
Assisting companies with R&D management upon entity consolidations.
Working with multinational companies to maximise their R&D claims for cross-border R&D activity.
Graduate Australia Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
Licensing Executive Society Australia New Zealand (LESANZ)
Bachelor of Science (Honours)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Company Directors Course Diploma (GAICD)