Mary Lai is an integral part of the Tax Services division in Sydney and is a valued member of RSM’s China Practice Group and speaks Mandarin.
Having previously worked in an in-house tax role in a large global online media company as well as a Tax Manager at Deloitte, Mary's varied experience ensures she can find a solution for all of her clients, no matter their situation.
"I am passionate about helping my clients with their tax needs and solving problems for them."
Many of her clients include high net-worth individuals and families as well as the mining and property and construction industries.
It is not unusual to receive an email from Mary late at night as she is a night owl, getting her best work done in the evening. She also has a passion for people and traveling - she is always on the hunt for new experiences locally and abroad.
Solutions mary lai provides
- Australian and International tax planning and structuring for high net worth individuals and families.
- Assisting high net worth individuals and families with Australian and international tax compliance obligations.
- Tax compliance and consulting work for all areas of tax, including income tax, FBT, GST, stamp duty and payroll taxes.
- Transfer pricing.
- Extensive experience in the property and construction industries.
- Assisted a high net worth family in setting up an Australian structure to acquire Australian properties for development and investment. Advised on the tax residency of various members of the family.
- Assisted a significant US private equity fund in relation to the acquisition of major businesses in multiple jurisdictions of a large ASX listed company, including undertaking purchaser due diligence work and advising on tax structuring.
- Advised a large cosmetic company in their acquisition of an Australian cosmetic business including purchaser tax due diligence work, tax structuring and indirect taxes advisory work.
- Seconded to a global mining company for six months and assisted with the implementation of various significant projects.
- Worked with ASX listed companies and public companies in respect of the design of their employee share and option schemes and related offers to minimise the tax burden for employees.
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Member of Law Society of New South Wales
- Member of the Tax Institute
- Member of CPA Australia
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Commerce – University of Sydney
- Master of Laws – University of Sydney