Peter is a strongly experienced accountant who understands the complexity of business operations and family dynamics, which allows him to provide valuable and practical advice to clients as a Partner of RSM in Sydney.
Although Peter’s expertise spans across many areas of business advisory having worked in chartered firms since 2001, he provides a commercial application of technical tax and accounting skills to suit the needs of his clients including family groups, private businesses, SMEs and corporate clients (listed, unlisted and foreign). Peter's clients operate across multiple sectors such as technology, building and construction, manufacturing, professional services, family office, health, aged care and many others.
“My clients' peace of mind is my daily focus - their faith in my abilities to obtain the best possible outcome for them provides me with all the motivation I need.”
Peter joined the Firm in 2011 and has supported multiple clients to achieve their goals ever since. Apart from becoming the trusted adviser to many families with a broad and commercial mindset, Peter is often talking to clients about so much more than their basic accounting and tax needs. He tries to identify opportunities for future structuring that ensures optimal results can be obtained. Whether it is assisting families manage their wealth and succession, or establishing structures, implementing processes and systems for fully outsourced functions to achieve operational efficiency and cost effectiveness for multinationals, Peter begins with the end in mind.
Prior to RSM, Peter’s first accounting job was a stocktake at the Sydney fish markets. He was responsible for counting fish in sub-zero temperatures one Saturday morning, which was followed by a week shaking off the chill (and the smell). It was a brutal introduction to the world of accounting, but it did not deter him, and he spent the next nine years working for the same firm. He also worked in his family's business as the outsourced finance manager, attending to all accounting, tax, banking and general financial needs.
Beyond the workspace, Peter is your classic all-around handyman who loves taking on little home projects, especially if it means he gets an excuse to visit Bunnings and purchase new tools. He also enjoys Lego (perhaps more than his kids do) and once spent a late afternoon in the office, building the Lego Sydney Skyline with a beverage or two. More than that, Peter is also a rugby union tragic and loves the African bush - both attributed to his South African upbringing.
Peter Revelas is a Partner of RSM Australia Partners and a Director of RSM Australia Pty Ltd.
SOLUTIONS PETER PROVIDES
- General tax consulting and advisory
- Structuring and restructuring client groups, including foreign entities
- Succession planning
- Commercial employee remuneration and reward options
- Cloud-based solutions for general financial management, payrolls and periodic reporting and compliance
- Undertakes an ongoing, periodic review of a client’s business and tax structure to ensure risk is being adequately managed, limiting exposure of personal assets. Monitoring and managing the growth in family wealth, applying specific attention to non-business assets and excess working capital. This includes reviewing business investments, providing advice and counsel on various arrangements and agreements.
- Provided Australian specific tax advice, while collaborating with our international colleagues, in the overall restructuring of a family group's business and personal assets across two tax jurisdictions, ensuring optimal tax efficiency when accessing and utilising profits.
Successfully developed and implemented the restructure of a professional services firm that enabled efficient succession planning and allowed access to flexible remuneration. This involved consultation with the client to help develop a Partner Charter and advise on best practice to ensure that efficiency and equity can be achieved.
- Acted in support of legal counsel to supply specialist tax advice in a damages claim against a former practitioner following an ATO initiated tax audit.
- Advised and performed all aspects of tax due diligence matters in a significant sale transaction of a client’s multinational business.
- Acted as a lead in the implementation and development of a foreign company and branch operations in Australia, including payroll matters, registrations, tax compliance and supplying ongoing general head office support and advice.
- Chartered Accountant, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Chartered Tax Adviser, Taxation Institute of Australia
- CPA, CPA Australia
- Master of Taxation, University of New South Wales
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Sydney