With over 30 years of experience in forensic accounting, Roger provides expert advice to clients across different industries as the National Head of Fraud & Forensic Services and Director of the Risk Advisory Services.
Roger Darvall-Stevens is a Partner of RSM Australia Partners and a Director of RSM Australia Pty Ltd.
Roger has extensive experience in forensic investigations of a range of matters such as fraud, bribery, corruption, and improper conduct (e.g., workplace bullying and harassment), forensic technology, operation of whistleblowing reporting avenues and management advice, forensic due diligence, compliance, and corporate security,
Prior to RSM, Roger was a former police detective for 12 years and was part of the fraud squad and counter-terrorism before working with a ‘Big 4’ firm, where he spent 13 years as a Partner in forensics. Roger is also a Certified Fraud Examiner, a licensed investigator in multiple locations across Australia and New Zealand, and regularly presents at local and international seminars and conferences.
"I am motivated by the values of integrity and honesty in business dealings, and continual performance towards better practice maximising business performance."
When he’s not working on fraud and forensic matters, Roger enjoys his passion for movies, home gym workouts (he thinks deadlifts are the best!) and contact combat sports like MMA and Krav Maga.
Solutions Roger Darvall-Stevens provides:
- Forensic accounting and forensic investigations
- Fraud, bribery & corruption (as well as improper conduct) control
- Planning, resourcing, implementation and management
- Forensic related training
- Forensic technology and forensic data analytics
- Compliance risk reviews
- Whistleblower services
- Forensic diligence
- Corporate security
What The Fraud!
Fraud insights for the
Helping CFOs master leadership, tame information, and navigate through a world of disruption.
- Compiled a fraud, bribery, and corruption control plan which included a foreign bribery and corruption compliance program for an Australian-based manufacturing company with operations overseas
- Developed and delivered a nine-phased fraud & corruption prevention program for a newly formed government entity to mitigate associated risks in public transport
- Developed a fraud risk profile for an Australian-based telecommunications company with operations in Asia
- Facilitated the formation of an investigation response team for an organisation, including scenario training
- Investigated a $5 million fraud within a private company where the ‘trusted’ CFO had stolen for several years, with unauthorised expenditure including gold bullion and investment properties
- Investigated a $2.3 million fraud by an executive assistant, to a food manufacturing company’s executives, who used deception to manipulate the travel and expenses of these executives to make false payments for lavish personal expenses and to support the fraudster’s spouse’s illicit drug heroin addiction
- Investigated collusion of a cosmetic company’s marketing executives to misrepresent performance to achieve monetary performance bonuses to which they were not entitled
- Investigated foreign bribery and corruption in overseas operations of an Australian-based company in mining and chemicals
- Performed physical security assessments of premises and operations, and provided advice on protection and security measures in threatening and high-risk situations
- Developed and maintained master service agreements for fraud and forensic work for companies with multiple incidents needs to ensure speed of multi-disciplinary and effective forensic investigation and prevention response
- Through a forensic, IT data analytics approach identified an employee who had set up a false vendor through which company funds were being siphoned
- Through a forensic IT investigation approach, identified incriminating evidence in a work PC’s hard drive ‘slack space’ of the deleted and leaked confidential information to the media
- CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner), global Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Former President, ACFE Melbourne Chapter
- Regent Emeritus, global ACFE Board member (2012-2013)
- Fellow/Founding member, Australian Institute of Professional Investigators (AIPI)
- Affiliate, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Member, Association of Workplace Investigators
- Licensed investigator in multiple locations
- Australian Government Baseline security clearance
- Security Adviser
- Master of Business Administration, La Trobe University
- Master of Arts (Criminology), Graduate Diploma (Criminology), University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate in Fraud Investigation, La Trobe University
- Bachelor of Arts (Police Studies and Sociology), Monash University
- Diploma and Certificate IV in Government Fraud Control and Investigations
- Certificate III in Investigative Services
- Certified in SCAN (Scientific Content Analysis) interview technique (basic and advanced)
Events & presentations
- “Revitalising your fraud control system” - Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) – South Pacific and Asia Conference (SOPAC) conference in Sydney and virtual on 24 June 2022 - more information here.
- "How Australia tracks with its anti-fraud resilience effort: latest innovations" - 11th Annual Fraud Prevention Summit 2022 - more information here.
- "Fighting Insider Fraud: Using the Right Technologies" Interview by FraudToday - more information here.
- "Anti-fraud resilience" - more information here - Fraud and AML Virtual Summit (29 September 2021)
- "Fraud red flags in a disruptive environment" - view the presentation here - Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA-Australia) TechTalk (27 July 2020)
- "COVID-19 and managing business risks" - view the webinar here (17 April 2020)
- "AICPA Journal of Accountancy Podcast" - listen to the podcast here (31 October, 2019)
- "Roundtable facilitated discussion: Emerging trends in fraud and corruption" - 2019 ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) Global Fraud Conference (24 June 2019, Austin, Texas, U.S.)
- "Mitigating Fraud” – presentation at the IIA (Institute of Internal Auditors) SOPAC Conference 2019 (26 March 2019, Sydney)
- "Payroll fraud"- presentation at the APA 2018 Payroll Conference in Melbourne (25 October 2018)
- "Culture integrity risk: ethical and cultural imperatives to reduce fraud" at the ACFE Asia-Pacific Fraud Conference in Sydney (23-25 September 2018)
- "Highlights from a global fraud conference & current trends" - presented to clients (31 July 2018, Melbourne and 2 August 2018, Sydney)
- "Fraud, bribery & corruption control trends: recent global fraud conference attendance" - Mutuals Audit & Governance Professionals Institute 25th Annual Conference (3 August 2017, Melbourne)
- "Auditing anti-bribery & corruption controls in challenging environments" - IIA (Institute of Internal Auditors) International Conference 2017 (25 July 2017, Sydney)
- "Fraud, bribery & corruption control: must knows for business leaders" - presented to Victorian Leaders (15 February 2017, Melbourne)
- "The naked fraudster" - during International Fraud Awareness Week (14-18 November 2016, Melbourne and Sydney)
- "Fraud & corruption: what we see" - presentation to the Committee for Ballarat, Fraud and Cyber Security Seminar (21 October 2016, Ballarat)
- "Fraud investigation & forensic accounting demystified" - to the Victorian Bar (2 June 2016, Melbourne)
- "Building a robust fraud and corruption control framework" - SOPAC Conference 2016 Masterclass (9 March 2016)
- "Fraud, bribery and corruption control: essentials for company directors" - Australian Institute of Company Directors webinar (21 January 2016)
- "Future crime: a virtual certainty" - 32nd Governance Institute of Australia National Conference (30 November 2015)
- "C-Suite's dirty little fraud secret" - 2015 ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) Asia-Pacific Fraud Conference (4 - 6 November 2015, Singapore)